19.2.08

Explosions In The Sky@Ruums KL

AH.MAH.GAH.

Explosions In the Sky@Ruums KL,best instrumental band evah (preceding Mogwai) and I'm still high as a kite from having seen them live.

Right,first off I'm going to warn you that I'm going to make very little sense because the 'gig',to me at least,wasn't merely a bunch of white guys performing on stage-it was an ethereal experience that moved my very...SOUL.Half them time I stood with eyes completely shut and palms inside pockets-I felt like the music playing and I shared a precious,intimate solitude so that every time I did open my eyes (mostly during interludes) the sight of a crowded room fronted by a stage bearing three looming figures who were banging furiously (I'm not kidding-they were fucking bashing those machines) at their guitars,momentarily seemed unfamiliar and strange.Starting off with a couple songs from their recent album,they then ventured to The Rescue then How Strange,Innocence-they never held back,constantly unleashing torrents of wild guitars that seemed like chaos and pure noise at first-shooting off at every direction-but quickly shaped into something coherent in it's own beautiful way-all that loud mixing of different sounds resulting in something emotionally epic.It was like being in a trance-a good one,not the type where you wake up feeling dizzy and molested-feeling like you've lost your own being,put in this other universe the music created where you'd observe in grand disasters,entire planets being made and destroyed at once.

At the end,after an extremely intense 90 minutes-the music stopped,they bowed politely and the lights above came on-as usual,cue for audience to rowdily demand an encore-after around two minutes of that,one of the band members came out,took the mic and said "We're very sorry,but we can't play you anymore songs".A few seconds of silence,some drunken booing from the back-he continued,"We've put all our energy into playing those songs for you-and anything more we won't be doing it right".Just then the respect I had for this band grew more gigantic.After he went,some guy came on with the good news that the band's agreed to have an autograph session outside,instantly a group of teenagers rushed past me heading for the exit.The line outside wasn't that long,most who came were already outside-maybe they have the same idea.Thing is I don't care much about who the band members are,much less their autographs-I believe a band this great stands on the music they make alone,that's the real personality right there and sure the people making it are an insanely talented bunch,but to treat them as band members Alex and Ross or whatever their names are would be trivializing how bloody fucking amazing their music is.And secondly,they're an instrumental band-so no fancy-faced vocalist hogging the limelight and threatening to do a solo pop album or anything like that.It's like,serious shit.I'm not making sense am I.That crazy bag lady who eats leaves down the street would understand me.......STARLA!

Pictures.Taken with a T-10,as you can see-they weren't that big on lighting effects or stage gimmicks,which was good cos' it would've been distracting otherwise.


Ahhhh.

No comments: