27.2.08

Good

Some have this very superficial concept about friendship, and it really pisses me off.

Thing is,it's a bit complex you see.I might be a terribly good friend-I'll be an attentive listener so you can confide in me,I'll even offer you helpful advice or,just appear supportive if that suffices for you.You can call me anytime of day,I'll be there in a jiffy.I'll try to be honest with you,I'll share my deepest secrets and gravest concerns-my Unthinkable Worries and Darkest Fears-in return you'll treat me with acceptance and kindness,and through sharing our miseries and happy times and all that crap our bond reaches a new level.I will be nice to you,I won't hurt you and I'll be the Good Friend you always wanted.

People have different reasons.I might just be your Good Friend because I'm lonely and having someone who would listen and to listen to and have ups and lows with brings some sort of meaning to my day to day life.I might be a Good Friend because I have this very specific,but easy-to-follow idea that friendship is basically learning to give,finding ways to bring joy to others or whatever simple faith I have and choose to practice over everyone else.It's like a packet of 3-in-1 coffee with very particular ingredients and the end result being True Happiness.Or I might just be keeping around because I find you repulsive and weak and that makes me feel a whole lot better.Etc.

Friendship is not something I want to exploit and fix to achieve something profound.It's not a tool.You can't use people to make yourself happy.I don't see the point in being nice or investing too much time/effort into people who think themselves as Good Friends for basically following the Good Friends Handbook-life's short and you should get it Right even if it means having to be a bit mean.So when you're being Entertaining and looking Entertained,when you tell me I can trust you and You'll be there For Me-and I sense how insincere you've become from the desperation,I can't help but feel disappointed.There goes another.

No comments: