31.5.08

Gig Alert

I won't say Melbourne's left out from the live music scene-I'm still a bit bummed from missing January's Big Day Out,during which Bjork,Sufjan Stevens,Spoon,The National all came down,I'll try not to miss the one next year.That miserable March-June time is normally reserved for the more widely-recognized names,along with indie-gone-mainstream bands and old farty bands that should've died in the 90s come back to fill large venues whilst charging cut-throat prices and finally giving half-hearted performances.I've never spoken about how disappointing seeing Jack Johnson live was,because I try to forget it-there was zero audience interaction,he hardly smiled and reluctantly mumbled the words to songs more like it was a private rehearsal-to top it off he missed out Traffic in the sky,Cookie Jar and sang only half of Sitting,Waiting,Wishing.I will forever be weary of seeing gigs in stadiums because it's just not the same,its just impossible to connect with the performer in such a vast setting and half the time you get sucky seats miles from the main stage anyway,either that or you have to stand for 5 hours while some broad behind keeps shoving herself onto you and you're uncomfortably aware there's a piercing on her left tit.But our mournful season's almost come to an end,because July-November's when the good crop arrives,finally.

Upcoming gigs! That's your cue to get excited! Hu-ha,people!

Death Cab for Cutie (August 16th)-I mean sure there was that incredible tune "I will follow you into the dark" (a snippet: "If there's noone beside you when your soul embarks,then I'll follow you into the dark") and a couple other so-so songs, but they always struck me as a slightly above average indie-emo band with a couple great songs but no real niche-Plans & Transatlanticism both had a few memorable songs,but as a whole neither left a solid mark.This was all before Narrow Stairs,an album in which they've kept those elements we've come to know them for (sad themes dealt with subtly,tucked under neutral metaphors) but produced a more unique,positive sound that's just new enough to gain new interest without alienating old fans.And as much as I hated it initially,I don't think I'll hear anything else like I will Possess your heart this year.

Verdict: Definitely going.

Cold War Kids (August 6th)-To my knowledge,they've only had one album out (Robbers & Cowards in 2007),that wasn't too long ago but for some reason they feel like yesterday's news.Like something my parents should be listening to.Anyways,these risky guys are seriously testing the album's mileage (it was good,but not good enough to still be singing songs from that album alone for 2 whole years).

The Teenagers (June 11th): The GG season finale used about 10 seconds of Feeling Better before reverting back to the tortuously boring lives of S & D,what a tragic waste (also,they used a new Death Cab song for the wedding-when fucking S & D were dancing,so even with a nice song like The Ice is getting thinner the scene was beyond rescue).Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing them live just so I so I could sing along loudly with the band and everyone in attendance the song Homecoming,without feeling the slightest bit disgusted or ashamed-"I fucked my American cunt,I loved my English romance" it'd be so much fun.I admit to remembering all the cheeky verses from their songs including "Don't forget to send me a friend request!...As if","Or missing your friends,cos' you don't have any?-we don't care,just buy our t-shirts","Take a pen,write it down-I.love.the.teenagers"-and that creepy/touching song about Scarlett Johanssen ("You whisper at horses' ears,I always found it exciting").

Verdict: I'd go,if it weren't smack right in the middle of my exams.Le sigh.

Vampire Weekend (7th June)-Overrated garbage.Heard the album,thought it was a decent record but the songs sort of sound the same (I blame the keyboards,there's this very flat,persistent,repetitive sound across the whole album that bugs the hell out of me) and it all blurs out into one monotonously long,ding-dong Christmas song after a while.

Band of Horses (August 3rd)-Oh wow.For the record,I was floored by their monumental second album Cease to Begin-you only need to listen to the first song Is there a Ghost to see how amazing this band is.The song only runs on two lines,with the magnificent voice of Ben Bridewell (I can't say enough about his voice,its just beautiful I think I'll burst into tears if I hear him singing live) yelling out "Is there a ghost?" into a deep,serene stream of guitars.Here's a band that can put out songs with so much meaning and emotion without saying much at all,enough talk you need to download Detlef Schrempf,Marry song and all their other songs.I'm not kidding,this band will snatch your soul.

Verdict:I'd postpone my own wedding (and maybe even skip yours) if it meant seeing them live.

+Speaking of horses,can't believe someone finally did it (link).And oh god there's a group called Cher is a Horse.I don't know how I even run into these things.

!!! (6th June)-Again,we need a new album,you were all trendy and big once before but that was like 8 months ago.Things have happened since then.Why are you here,not back in the studio making new albums?

Additionally,Liz Phair-for the relaunch of her album Exile In Guyville,will be performing gigs in the US where she performs all the songs from the album.

ALL.THE.SONGS.FROM.THE.ALBUM.AM I TALKING TOO LOUD?I CAN'T STOP SHOUTING.

I'd put Exile in Guyville somewhere in my Top 5 albums of all time,and whoever tells me it's a girl's album I'll take off my fucking stiletto and jab it up their ass.I'm half tempted to fly to Chicago or wherever,it'd be a "lifetime thing" for me,as pathetic as that sounds.

And for what it's worth,here are the bands I anticipate will be coming before the year ends.These expectations are meant to be realistic,don't blame me if they're not.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Karen O & I will have to meet eventually)
The Strokes (yes,still waiting)

Oh god,that's it I think.I can't remember how long I've wanted to see these 2 bands live-since before I was born maybe,is like I was sent to earth to see them live.Its my destiny,I wouldn't be able to avoid it even if I wanted to.

...

No comments: