29.12.08

My Favourite Movies & TV 08'

I don't think it was a good year for Film & TV,maybe because the two big ones I waited for with such great anticipation (Cloverfield,The Dark Knight) turned out to be empty doobies.Plus,I haven't really seen that many movies to begin with-I chose to keep from the cinema after a string of disappointing flicks-Pineapple Express,Mamma Mia,Bolt,Burn After Reading and I felt a lot of films this year got much more praise than they deserved (Wall-E,Iron Man).I saw a couple indie movies (Lars & the Real Girl,Waltz with Bashir),they were unlike the better ones I've seen in previous years and overall the standards for movies have been lowered for 08',thus those on my list might not be the ones appearing on others' best of lists but they were the ones I enjoyed every minute of,for one reason or another.

Best Movies 08'
5.Get Smart
4.Death Race
3.Quantum of Solace
2.House Bunny
1.Tropic Thunder

A lacklustre year for movies,but I still haven't seen The Wrestler,Slumdog Millionare,Doubt or Rachel Getting Married-all films I hope would take us out of this miserable slump.I guess the biggest conundrum on my mind is all the rave and hype for The Dark Knight-as I've said before,I think Heath Ledger's performance was merely average and everything about the film-the pace,characterization,story-seemed second-rate to the preceding Christopher Nolan batflick,05's Batman Begins.So in the end,it was the lighthearted comedies that triumphed over the overblown,big-budgeted blockbusters.

As for TV,you'll think of me as a bimbotic fairyhead after this.There were a couple shows I followed religiously-some of them earned a spot on the list,but a couple of which I did and will continue to follow have definitely seen better seasons.30 Rock especially,got off to a good start and then it was a run of celebrity actors filling the wrong roles-Jen Aniston,Steve Martin both people I love,but their performances on the show were flat and unfunny.The Office is suffering from its worst season yet,a too long season (more than 20 eps) with no real focus and viewer fatigue from Pam-Jim's long-dead "romance" (what the hell is Ryan doing there,and for no solid reason Toby reappears).

4.Keeping up with the Kardashians
3.Gossip Girl
2.Lost
1.Late Show with David Letterman

As always,there's never a shortage of truly rotten tv or films (the most recent shitty flick I saw was The Women-I hate it when the characters just ramble from start to end,using about 400% more words than necessary),but I guess I could say as a whole it was more of a hit than miss-as long as Ben Stiller and Anna Faris do the right thing and avoid retirement,and Letterman stays on air I'll have something to be entertained by.
...

No comments: