14.9.09

frasier

Rented Season 1 of Frasier.

When he had that atrocious haircut,and even Eddie looked scruffy like they just stole him from a homeless man.The show in general crazy wonderful,but to go back to where it all started and see how each of the characters slowly fell into the big picture just wows me.Niles,Frasier with their uber-intellectualism and their father Martin coming in with his ugly couch ("its eclectic!").Niles with his always absent wife ("she's got the symptoms") and always gawking at Daphne,or running off to some weird group therapy thing.

And Daphne,they straightened her out to be a sort of gracious,feminine character over time but when she first entered she had a witch's hair,claimed to be "psychic" (and Frasier: "She psychic,we've decided to find it charming") and was crazily inappropriate and eccentric.And Roz,with her melodious voice and always consoling Frasier-and how the two erupt when the sports guy comes in with his bloody gong.

The show's amazing since it began,and remained that way until it bowed out with its 11th season.But season 1 builds that relationship they have with each other,extra special.

Frasier: Six months ago, I was living in Boston. My wife had left me, which was very painful. Then she came back to me, which was excruciating.

Niles: I thought you liked my Maris!
Frasier: I do, I... I like her from a distance. You know, the way you like the sun. Maris is like the sun... except without the warmth.

...

No comments: