15.12.09

okay.

1. I think I'll learn french so I can one day write and direct a French movie.It sounds queer when I say 'French movie',as if being French was all there was to it.P pointed to a stranger and said "I think that guy is stupid hot".I think words are used so redundantly nowadays,all empty talk-and the best ideas can't be conveyed vocally,last week's 30 Rock was definitely a series best.

2. I mean sure you've got your Woody Allen types who really use the fuck out of language and can get away with crazy,rambling monologues-but for that you've really got to have a sharp sense of humour,which isn't something you can cultivate in a classroom or easily concoct.

3. That said,I've been watching a lot of French films over the past few weeks-and I think there is something so uniquely fluid and quietly melodious about dialogues written in French.Wrote some lines for a story tentatively called 'Two Lovers',hid under the covers and read them out loud with a ridiculous,heavy french accent and giggled alone in the dark.Also,subtitles can be disruptive and unnecessary but at times it contributes some light,artistic layer.

4. These small French films usually go right under the radar,sometimes make festival rounds but really deserve more-I recommend finding 'I do',a rare,funny 2006 French romantic film I caught on SBS one late morning but can't even find the poster for.Starring the abnormally charming Charlotte Gainsbourg,and actor Alain Chabat who has starred in more than 40 films but only notable English project is the Night at The Museum sequel.

5. This Florence & the machine album is proving to be a good listen while I wait a month more for the new Beach House record.

...

1 comment:

Phelan said...

Thankyou for the recommendation. I love Charlotte Gainsbourg!

I agree about french films, not only does the language have the perfect sound for emotional scenes, the filmmakers themselves tend to make more interesting and artsy films than American Hollywood makers do.

French is a beautiful language, I speak it and I sometimes find myself wanting to say things in French rather than English because they would be easier to express with French words and phrases.

-Nellie (fossilizednell from deviantart)